Text effect export

All information about Magic Particles: news, question, comments, etc.

Text effect export

Postby buxton » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:58 am

I'm evaluating magic particles for a project I'm working on, but I'm having trouble with the text effects. The effects themselves are exporting fine but the text doesn't, is it suppose to work this way? If not what am I missing? Ideally I'd like to export exactly what I see in the main window, is this possible?
buxton

Re: Text effect export

Postby Odin_KG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 pm

You can save ptc-file using 3 ways:
1) Normal mode: full compatibility with editor, but API can't play emitters of 'Image' and 'Text'.
2) API mode: full compatibility with API, but part of information for editor is deleted. This mode is useful when you release the game.
3) Double mode: full compatibility with editor and API (the size of the ptc-file will be more). I think you need to use this mode during development of the game. Check the flag: Edit->Program Options->Save Always. Now you can use "Normal mode" as "Double mode".
Odin_KG
Administrator
Administrator

Postby buxton » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:38 pm

thanks for the speedy reply.

I haven't got a save always option under edit/program options.

I'm most concerned with getting the effects into a video or png format quickly, and on the face of it this software does seem to give me the capabilities that I need. I'm not, as you can probably guess, very experienced with these types of effects or their file formats. is it possible to go from .ptc (which does save the text and effects) into some format I can open with my video editing software?
buxton

Postby Odin_KG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:17 pm

is it possible to go from .ptc (which does save the text and effects) into some format I can open with my video editing software?

No. "ptc" is format of Magic Particles only.
It is possible I did not understand your problem. My advice was intended for game developers.

Press CTRL+E to export in avi, png, etc. The emitter of "Text" is exported the same. It is possible you want to export the "form" of the emitter, but it is no special effect. Press F9 to show/hide the "form" of the emitter.
Odin_KG
Administrator
Administrator

Postby buxton » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Ok I think I see what the problem is, I'm getting the message 'the maximum number of particles to export may not exceed 100' is this why I do not see the whole effect in the export window?

Without scolling through all the options can you give me the name of an effect I can use to evaluate the export functions and editing capabilities without hitting this limitation?
buxton

Postby Odin_KG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Ok I think I see what the problem is, I'm getting the message 'the maximum number of particles to export may not exceed 100' is this why I do not see the whole effect in the export window?

I think Yes.

can you give me the name of an effect I can use to evaluate the export functions and editing capabilities without hitting this limitation?

Open the file "copy.ptc" and select the emitter "Green Fire".
Odin_KG
Administrator
Administrator

Postby buxton » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:45 pm

thank you for your help
buxton

Postby Odin_KG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:32 pm

You are welcome!
Odin_KG
Administrator